January 12, 2010

Capital Chicken Casserole



While looking through some old recipes I found my mom's recipe for Capital Chicken Casserole. Why it is called that I have no idea but it is one of my absolute favorite chicken dishes so I immediately added it to my recipe planner for the next week.

It tasted exactly how I remember it- sooo good! Suddenly I was filled with dozens of childhood memories. It's funny how something can trigger your memory like that. I could almost smell the house I grew up in.

Oscar liked it too and gave me the thumbs up to add it to our dinner rotation, though I won't add it a lot because it does have its fair share of butter and cream. Still sooo good!

Tess Boogie's Capital Chicken Casserole {that's Oscar's nick name for my mom} :-)

1 chicken, cut in parts or 6 chicken breast halves
4 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1 pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp. flour
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. dry white wine
1 c. water
1/2 c. cream
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. tarragon leaves (fresh if you have it, dried also works)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
6 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp. parsley, chopped

In large fry pan place butter and oil and heat to medium temperature, until butter melts. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove chicken and place in baking pan or casserole.

In same fry pan saute mushrooms about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Add soup, wine and water; simmer, stirring, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in cream, salt, tarragon and pepper; pour over chicken.

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. Mix in artichoke hearts, green onions and parsley. Bake about 5 more minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.

I served it over white rice with steamed artichokes. Have I said sooo good yet? Mmmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Dear Debbie, I was living in Washington DC in 1980 when I entered the National Chicken Contest.I named my recipe Capital Chicken Casserole because each entry required a name.
    My second entry which had blueberry yogurt in it obviously did not win. Ah alliteration. Sheila H.

    ReplyDelete